The Catholic Foundation, a 501(c)(3) public charity, distributes grants only to qualified public entities or 501(c)(3) charities, and neither lends nor grants money to individuals or political organizations. Awards from the Foundation's unrestricted Philanthropy Fund are designated specifically to help meet the needs of the people of the Diocese of Dallas, and are made in one of three categories – Educational, Charitable, or Religious.
An organization receiving a grant may not submit another grant request until 3 grant cycles have passed since approval of their last grant request. Organizations with an open grant may not apply until the grant has been completed, fully funded and the Final Report submitted to the Foundation. Grant requests up to $250,000 will be considered. Grant requests in excess of $100,000 must have permission to submit from the CEO of The Catholic Foundation 30 days before the application deadline.
(Applications for Tuition Assistance accepted for the Spring cycles only.)
(Grants made from Donor Advised and Designated Funds, while similarly restricted to qualifying 501(c)(3) charities, are not restricted to Diocesan organizations, but can be distributed to fulfill any philanthropic purpose the donor envisions. For more information, see Grantmaking from Donor Advised Funds.)
Grants from The Catholic Foundation are awarded on the basis of one or more of the following conditions:
- Foundation support would be vital to the proposed project's success
- A collaborative network exists that multiplies the impact of the grant
- The proposed project is likely to continue and expand after the grant period, becoming self-supporting
- The proposal is innovative and efficient in its use of funds
- Expenses are reduced by sharing resources with other agencies or groups
- The project is a well-planned approach to solving a problem and delivering services
- The project promotes better human relationships and a sense of community
- The project helps fulfill the mission of the applicant organization
- The project will be funded within one year of the grant (unless Grant Contract specifies otherwise)
Grants from The Catholic Foundation are NOT made to or for purposes of:
- Annual fund-raising events or drives
- Debt reduction
- Professional conferences, symposia, or attendance at seminars or meetings
- Organizations not supported or endorsed by the Catholic Church or not serving an identifiable Catholic population
- Funding more than one year of a program's cost.
- Endowments, Individuals, or Political Organization
- Operating costs, unless related to a new initiative or program
- Tuition Assistance (generally made only from Restricted Funds, if available)
2017 GRANT DEADLINES:
The 2017 Catholic Foundation grant application deadlines are Thursday, January 19th, and Thursday, August 17th, 2017.